Eat Healthy for Less than $30 – Rice Veggie Bowl
Rice is one of those foods that is feeling and can be dressed up a million different ways. I know most rice has a bad rep for people who are trying to eat healthy but it really should be a staple in your house. If you are on a weight loss journey, you can choose to limit your rice and carb intake to 1 cup per day but if you just trying to eat healthy and cut down fast food, stock up on your rice.
Jasmine rice is perfect for rice bowls but you can always replace it with brown rice, yellow rice, or even a different grain like quinoa. This works with just about anything. The recipe is simple. Throw in some sauteed veggies, maybe some beans or some chicken and eat up. The cool thing about rice bowls is you can take a recipe add, subtract, substitute one healthy ingredient for another without compromising taste.
How to Make Your Rice Bowl
Ingredients (Recipe From Cooking Light)
- 1 1/3 cups cooked brown rice, cooled to room temperature
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame (green soybeans), thawed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 1/2 ounce fresh Parmesan cheese, shaved
Combine the first 9 ingredients in a large bowl, and toss until well blended. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add zucchini; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add zucchini and remaining 2 tablespoons oil to rice mixture; toss. Top with shaved Parmesan cheese.